Successful conference says Enough is Enough
A conference to welcome this year\'s Alcohol Awareness Week and to highlight the second hand harms of alcohol across the North East has been hailed a success.
Hundreds of people from across the region attended \'Enough is Enought - Calling Time on Second Hand Harms\' at the Ramside in Durham.
Inspirational and thought provoking speakers included:
- Dr Aric Sigman, of Alcohol Nation fame
- Dr Shonag McKenzie - discussing Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Mark Leyshon - on the increasing threat of alcohol advertising to young people through social networking sites
- Jon Stoddart, Chief Constable of Durham Police, setting out alcohol’s impact on policing
- Dr Evelyn Gillan on lessons we could learn from Scotland.
- BBC\'s Fiona Trott who chaired the conference.
Preseantions will be available later today and we\'ll give you a full update in the next Balance newsletter.
You could also follow this year\'s conference on Twitter @BalanceNE and delegates tweeted their thoughts throughout the day:
AlcoholHarmCop Pc Mick Urwin
Congratulations to @BalanceNE for a very good thought provoking conference today - feel re-invigorated now !
helonmurfee helen murphy
@BalanceNE excellent conference today. Thought provoking presentations and much work needed to reduce alcohol harm #alcoholawarenessweek
16 November 2011
The Impact of Alcohol on Policing
Chief Constable Jon Stoddart's presentation for the Enough is Enough conferenceDownload PDF (2 MB)
16 November 2011
New Media, New Problem presenation
Mark Leyshon of Alcohol Concern's presentation from the Enough is Enough conferenceDownload PDF (2 MB)