Crime and disorder
Alcohol misuse threatens the safety of individuals and communities – increasing the risk and fear of harm. The facts:
- 50% of all violent crime is alcohol-related.
- In 2007 there were a total of 560 casualties as a result of drink driving in the North East, 60 of which resulted in death or serious injury.
- More than a third of offenders being supervised by the National Offender Management Service in the North East are believed to be alcohol dependent.
- More than nine in ten North Easterners associate alcohol consumption with anti-social behaviour, crime and violence and domestic abuse.
- More than eight in ten North Easterners associate alcohol consumption with being a victim of crime.
- More than seven in ten North Easterners think that people being drunk and rowdy in public is a ‘fairly big’ or ‘big’ problem.