Alcohol is draining the wealth of individuals and communities across the North East - the facts:
- Alcohol misuse costs the region up to £1.29 billion a year – that’s more than £400 for every man, woman and child.
- In 2010 the households of the North East spent somewhere in the region of £650 million on alcohol.
- The average drinker in the North East spends around £370 per year on alcohol.
- The annual cost of alcohol related crime and licensing in the North East is estimated to be somewhere in the region of £361-599 million.
- In the North East, alcohol is estimated to cost the NHS around £225 million per year.
- Alcohol misuse is costing the North East workplace and wider economy somewhere between £378 million and £467 million a year.